Telehealth Therapy Recommendations
Listed below are some guidelines for how to get the most benefit as possible from these remote sessions during this time that in-person sessions are not being offered.
1. The most important thing is to have privacy. Please do everything possible to make sure you are in a private space where it is unlikely you will be heard or interrupted. You may need to ask others in your space to respect your privacy by doing things like turning on entertainment in another room or listening to something on headphones.
2. Try to make yourself comfortable, but not too comfortable. If you can, settle into a nice, comfortable chair. A workspace, if you have it, is best. Avoid lying in bed, on your TV-watching couch, sitting on the floor, or moving locations during the session. Try to arrange yourself in a session-like position.
3. Put a box of tissues next to where you will be. If you want, pour yourself a glass of water. But avoid having a snack or meal, leave that for either before or after the session.
4. Please be sure to dress as you would if we were meeting in the office.
5. Turn off or put to sleep all devices other than the one you are using to make the call, including watches, laptops, and other phones. If using a smartphone or computer, do your best to quit from all programs other than the one we are using and turn off all notifications if you can. It is best to leave your hands free by using headphones.
6. Try to leave yourself an additional 15-minutes both before and after the session. It is not a good idea to leave another remote meeting or call/ activity requiring focused attention (either work or play) and then immediately call in to start our session. You will need some time to get ready for the work we are about to do. Similarly, after the session is over, take some time before diving into your next activity. This will give time for the session to resonate before jumping back into whatever you have next.
7. Location is important. Please do your best to always meet from the same place during this period of time, although that may not always be possible. If you find yourself curious about where I am, please feel free to ask. I will do the same so I can imagine where you are.
I recognize that these guidelines make the remote sessions a little less convenient. But the additional benefit will be more than worth the effort. We can discuss any questions you may have during our first session.